Even though Eve had already been in preschool, we decided against enrolling her again for a few reasons. First, we thought of adding in Judah too, but the days conflicting, meaning that I'd have to drive into NJ four days a week...tricky when class started at 9am. Second, we honestly didn't think the preschool was academic enough- it really just seemed like a lot of playing. However, she really seemed to come out of her shell this past semester, and that's something that happened solely due to her being in school. So, we were torn as to what to do regarding school in September.
But thankfully, Granma Church introduced an interesting offer: what if she home-schooled the kids? It's funny bc when we were just starting to question the idea of four days a week in NJ vs. no preschool for Judah, she brought up this idea. I felt like it was perfect timing! And, I couldn't have been more comfortable w/her wanting to do this bc well, her track-record w/homeschooling has been pretty stellar! I mean, the Church's have one attorney, one doctor, one teacher, and one RD in the family, and three other incredibly intelligent kids still in school..home-schooling seems to be a success in this household! :)
So, we ordered the curriculum online, and just this Friday, the kids started "Granma school." They'll be going every Tuesday and Friday for a few hours, w/a bit of homework included.
Here they are, all set for school:
Excited!
It was a huge success! They came home, singing songs from the day, and Eve couldn't have been more into her homework all weekend! They are working on "in" and "out," identifying the words, spelling them, figuring out when to use them, along w/right and left, and...they're really enjoying it!
I have to admit that I felt a bit of guilt about this- I mean, for awhile, I thought that I could do this, home-school, I mean. And then I had kids. Suddenly the world of ideals exploded, and reality hit home- and I saw that I couldn't do this as fully as I had hoped, and that, to do it well, one must invest fully. I guess I'm happy that I realized this early on, and am so happy w/the choices we've made.
Anyway, hooray for Granma school!
2 comments:
So will their Grandma homeschool them for the school years too? What are your plans? I always get asked the same question since I was homeschooled.
Alissa, what a perfect plan and what a blessing!
Post a Comment