Monday, August 29, 2011

Oh, Irene...

Waking up on Sunday morning to a relatively clear sunny sky was a bit of a let-down, if you ask me.  I mean, for days we'd been hearing about this coming hurricane, how it was going to be incredible for this area- the kids were even evacuated from the beach this weekend bc of the hurricane.  We were all preparing for...well, not the worst by any means, but were definitely trying to prepare for some "bad" times- we had lots of food, bottled water, a crazy amount of batteries and flashlights, candles...all set!

On Saturday, the weather was definitely getting more intense throughout the day, from the time it started raining here around 10 until I went to bed at 11.  And, there were hardly any stations not talking about the hurricane, or broadcasting from a site along the coast. 

Just a few shots from the day- including our poor flowers getting flooded!






So when I woke up to just another normal day, it was a bit of a shock! 

 
Turns out, the hurricane had passed us...and, watching the news that morning, saw that NY was getting a good dose of it.  Oh well.  We just had an earthquake- can't have two disasters in one week! ;)

And, after hearing about family members in NJ dealing w/no power and flooded basements, I was starting to see how a non-hurricane hurricane experience was much better than an actual hurricane experience! 

Ezra and the kids went out Sunday morning to clean up some of the debris...20 minutes, all done!  Again, I guess I'm pretty thankful that we were only dealing w/leaves and twigs!


1 comment:

Marjorie said...

We're in NJ, but we didn't get any damage either which is good because I didn't bother to prepare! :0