Friday, January 6, 2012

New Devotional

After searching around for a new devotional for this year, I finally chose Martyn Lloyd-Jones' "Walking with God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotional Selections."  And, after only a few days, I couldn't be more happy about the choice- the sections are pretty short (just one page), but already I'm learning new things.  For instance, do you ever really think about the Holy Spirit as a person, rather than a "feeling" or presence?  The first section of the book heavily emphasizes his role as a separate person (just as the Father and Son are separate people) and not just as a presence on our lives, and that's honestly something that should have hit me before now- only it didn't, so this is kinda ground-breaking for me!  I mean, I guess I always lived like there were two people and one...presence- does that make sense? ;)


There's only one thing I don't love about the book- at the end of each day's reading, there's a "thought to ponder," and it kinda kills the overall lesson for me bc it's soooo over-simplified.  I mean, when the section showed proofs for the Spirit as a person, not a feeling, the "thought" was "The Holy Spirit is a person."  Um, wow, thanks.

Anyway, that aside, I definitely recommend this book.

What are you all reading?

(PS- my OTHER devotional came in the mail this afternoon, "Morning and Evening" by Charles Spurgeon- ALSO a great book!  I love the feeling of starting each day w/a passage, or a bit of the Word bc wow, what a tremendous effect that has on the way my day goes! )

4 comments:

L R said...

For our ladies Bible study, we are going through a commentary of 2 Samuel. It has been very helpful to be talking about the Word with fellow women.

It is a main goal of mine for 2012 to be a year in the Word and to reestablish the habits I had before the kids.

Marjorie said...

Interesting...our faith believes and stresses that the father, son and holy spirit are separate, yet equal persons. we also believe they are "one." similar to how a father, mother and child are a family. all separate, but one family.

Marjorie said...

P.S. Still waiting for my books to come in from the library, but I'm excited to read a book called "Confessions of a Wedding Photographer." It's true stories written by a wedding photographer and all the crazy things she sees :0

Julia said...

Sounds good, Alissa I may get it! Thanks for sharing.