I've never really understood this phrase before, being "that mom." I mean, I got it when people said it, but I really hadn't felt what being "that mom" is like- not because my kids are angels, not by any means. It's just, they're still kinda small, and I typically go out w/both kids in the stroller, so, really, what can happen?
Oh, how a day can change things!
I decided to run to the post office today w/some returns (love/hate online shopping!), and I opted not to use the stroller. We drove to the post office while out on other errands, so I only had the umbrella stroller; I couldn't imagine how I would successfully push an umbrella stroller, minus the umbrella (w/those stupid wobbly wheels), hang on to Eve, and carry three packages. Not going to happen.
So, we opted to just walk in.
(What was I thinking?)
I held Judah and two packages; Eve hung on to my purse and held another package. We made it inside, and I stashed all the packages on a counter, so I could just push them along as we moved in the line. But, the "holding-Judah" thing really wasn't going to happen. He hates that.
So, I put him down- the easier option, especially since he kept arching his back, trying to fall out of my arms. Whatever, crazy kid!
That's when I became "that mom," and suddenly, I understood just how...hmm, how unique a position that is. Luckily, the line moved fast, and we were at the counter quickly- but, that's after Judah and Eve made a break for the door. She is totally lead by whatever bad thing Judah does (annoying), but she came back almost immediately after I called her. The boy, not so much. I ran to bring him back, and hung on w/a death-grip to his hand; managed to ask for a delivery confirmation, and then, back to struggling w/Judah, who was now hanging by the hand I held bc he decided to stop using his legs. (Breathe.)
The...guy at the register (title?) gave me two coloring books and two packs of crayons, which managed to distract Judah for a second before multiple runs to the door- so annoying, this outing turned into a group effort, thanks to the others in the line w/us. Actually, I do thank everyone who helped! So nice! But seriously, who are these kids?? Why don't they just stay put?
This was clearly a lesson in...well, in packing the car better- turns out, the bigger stroller w/the basket and shade on top are essential to any outing w/a little boy who will not listen...and, an easily-swayed little girl.
Krikey.
4 comments:
wow, fun times!! I just got an umbrella stroller thinking it would be easier and i hate it! those wheels are worthless . . .
HAHA! Yeah, Charisma is my "don't judge" humility child... After having her I refuse to judge any mom who has a screaming/kicking child in the grocery line, has a child who whines ALL the way through the store or decides to throw a fit (laying on the floor kicking and all) in the middle of Old Navy. Ug. If I had had Willem first I don't think I'd be so humble. God had to teach me a lesson I guess. LOL!!! At least your kids are good in the stroller - never leave home without it again!!
i can relate. christopher does that "arching back so as not to be held" thing, evil little trick!
Hm, I think you should come to the store with me sometime.
Just to see.
Post a Comment