I just got back from my 33-week appt, and it was just another routine visit. He has a good heartbeat, LOTS of fetal movement, his size is equal to weeks, and is definitely head down. Still, my doctor did bring up the possibility, or at least "counseled" me about the possibility of a c-section. She said it's just something she needs to mention, but that it's not like I have giant babies or anything, so most likely that won't have to happen.
Um, what about giant Judah?? I'm only 5'2", and he was 8 lb. 10 oz! He was definitely bigger than expected! I also reminded her of what happened at his birth- when he got stuck at the shoulders. Apparently (after a Google search), that's a pretty rare thing called shoulder dystocia, and only really happens in a small percentage of births. His case was remedied fairly quickly and easily by immediately lowering my bed and w/some crafty maneuvers from the doctor, but apparently if the baby gets really stuck, fetal death is one possible outcome bc their cord gets compressed, or there can be serious nerve damage.
Fantastic.
Just one more thing to (maybe) worry about. I say "maybe" bc...should I worry? I did see that there's usually a high chance of this happening again, which is kinda scary- especially considering that some of the maneuvers used to fix a "stuck" baby include shoving it's head back in, and performing an emergency c-section. I'm dying...that's the grossest thing...
Still, I don't know. Maybe it's too early to worry- I have an ultrasound scheduled for around 38-weeks, just to gauge size, but the doctor did say that size wasn't necessarily a good predictor, either. Ugh, krikey.
Oh well...maybe I'll just start doing LOTS of the things that you shouldn't do bc they could induce labor- looooonnnnggg walks, carrying heavy things (ie, the kids!), while eating pineapples and drinking certain teas that cause uterine contractions- if he's born a bit early, this shouldn't be an issue! ;)
1 comment:
Hmmmm...I always worried about the same thing (C-section and getting stuck). I'm 5 feet even. Christopher was pretty big 7lbs 9ozs, but luckily no trouble with delivery. Andrew was early (36 wks), but a good size 6lbs 3 ozs. I think if he was on time he would have been much bigger. Fingers crossed you go a little early.
I do know some people our size that have had 9-10lb babies fine though :0
Post a Comment