Saturday, November 20, 2010

Our Winter Garden

I know that it's been nearly TWO MONTHS since I've posted anything new to the blog, and that I've missed talking about loads of things that have happened (Eve's birthday party, for example, but that's still something I might come back to bc it was lots of fun).  I still plan to blog about a few things- pumpkin picking included- but for right now, I wanted to share some pictures of our garden.  The silly thing is still producing for us!  

We have pea plants, but they took their sweet time in coming up, so they might get attacked by frost before they're really ready to flower:


Then, the broccoli.  This is pretty fun, bc it just looks so weird the way it grows- lots of leaves, and a crown of broccoli rising from the middle!  



(Oh, on a gross side note- gross green wormy caterpillar things love broccoli.  I was cutting into a crown when two creepy-crawlies came out from who knows where on the broccoli, and I kinda swore it off from then on.  Don't think we'll be growing this again next year- yuck!)

And we have more green beans, on a pole this time- oh, and, some onions...don't really know when they're ready!



We still have the ever-producing pepper plants.  I really wish I had counted all the peppers we've had from these plants- it's been amazing!



And finally, the silly lettuces, that also took forever to make an appearance, and now might only be about 5 leaves before the frost comes!  I planted them in September, and they only came up about 2 weeks ago!  We were pretty sure that the seeds were a bust, but here's the proof that some of the seeds, at least, were good:



There you have it- our little city garden that never stops producing!  

2 comments:

Julia said...

Wow, we are jealous. Good work!!! Julia

diber said...

I'm jealous, too! :D

A word on broccoli. You can get broccoli dust. Start dusting it as soon as the head starts to form, and you won't have worm troubles.