Well, I'm back, at least!
A bit earlier than expected, too. I just haven't been feeling so great (due to all that's been going on w/my health lately), and really just couldn't face another four days on the boat, w/no a.c. and limited access to nice marinas! So, Ezra drove me back home from Delaware City this morning. We had picked up his brother and sister-in-law last night, and used their car this morning. I feel like the biggest loser for ditching the last leg of the trip, but really, there's too much going on w/me right now. I didn't even feel like I could truly relax, bc when I do, I remember (read, dwell on) what's going on. And, get sad. It's a vicious circle, and one that I couldn't quite deal w/on a boat, w/company.
We had a great time! We left on Monday afternoon from our slip in Cinnaminson, and headed out to sea- well, out to the Delaware. Ezra's dad came w/us for this first day, and I couldn't have been happier to have him. It was great having another person w/us, especially one that knew how to sail and was willing to deal w/our kids!
![]() |
| Bridges along the Delaware |
It was a SUPERhot day, which made the sailing a bit difficult w/the kids bc we tried to keep them down below for most of the time. Poor things! We got some breezes in the cabin, but wow, still steamy.
![]() |
| Sweaty babies! |
![]() |
| Hey- there's our house! ;) |
![]() |
| Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island. During the Civil War, the Union used it as a prison for Confederate prisoners of war, and local Southern sympathizers. |
It was easily about 95 all day, and the night temperature was only projected to drop down to 80. This, then, would be the night for our AC to break. Of course. Seriously, it did. And, the marina is tucked back from all the good breezes on the river, so it was boiling, and still, and...the area was infested w/mosquitos. Infested. I'm still finding mosquito bites! We had heard that many of the deaths at Fort Delaware had been due to malaria, and honestly, I believe it! Anyway, that night, we stripped the kids down to diapers/undies, and we all sweated it out in fitful sleeps. Have to say- the shower the next morning...amazing!
After that, we had our water pump looked at in the marina (couldn't they have taken a peek at the AC, too?!), so we toured Delaware City. Not much to see on a Tuesday morning, considering most places didn't open until 10 or 11. It's a cute little town, though. It was another roasting day, so we sweated through our tour of the town.
![]() |
| Apparently, when you're little, running around in the heat isn't a big deal at all! |
Then, it was back to the boat. Little did we know that our journey to Cape May would practically double the high estimate the marina-guy (official title) had given us. He said about 8 hours; it took us 12.
![]() |
| Enjoying a bit of free-time on the back of the boat while the kids (finally) took a nap! |
We didn't have a GPS, and were kinda winging it. That's fine, until it starts to get dark, and we could barely make out the Cape May lighthouse on the horizon. We were so far away that we would spot it one second, and lose it the next. Alittle unnerving. So, Ezra radioed the boat behind us, and it just happened that they were also going to Cape May- they said that we could follow them in.
![]() |
| Our new buddy, Vagabond Gypsy |
It really shouldn't have taken so long, but...these guys were going SUPERslow. Couldn't have been going slower! They added a few hours to our time, w/out a doubt, but still, it was nice to go in w/someone, especially once it got dark. And, when we neared the marina, they anchored just outside it, and used their flashlight to show us where to go- so nice!
Another nice thing about arriving in Cape May: the temperature. It was sooo cool, we were actually cold! We put in the screens, and slept w/the windows open. Too bad it rained a bit that night, so I was frantically tearing screens out at 3am and shutting the boat back up!
The next morning, we were about to make Eve's dream come true- we were finally going to the beach! The poor girl had been asking forever the day before about when we'd get there, and telling us that the boat was bugging her and that she wanted to get off. She's fun.
![]() |
| Hee-hee...beach hats! |
![]() |
| My model |
We spent a good part of the day at the beach, and this year, the kids loved it! Finally! Judah took a nap on the way to the beach, and it took Eve a bit to warm up to the idea of walking on the sand w/out her shoes, but once she did, she was fine. And, when Judah woke up, he was a bit freaked out about the sand, too- but, thankfully, BigSister was there to drag him by the hand through the sand, and out to the fun!
![]() |
| Eve and her Sand-man |
That night, a work friend of Ezra's came down to see us w/his family: they have two kids right around the ages of ours (one month older than Eve, one month younger than Judah). Very fun- we walked from the marina to the Lobster House, which is pratically connected. We sat outside on the deck, and had a great dinner- the kids had a blast!
The next morning, Ezra offered to give me the day "off". He took the kids back to the beach, and I was free to do whatever I wanted! (Yay!) I walked (far) to the center of Cape May, more particularly to my favorite store ever- a bath store called Bath Time. It's the best! I usually spend way too much money in there, and stock us up on fancy soaps/bath salts for the next year or so, but it's so fun! This time, I got the kids rubber ducks- which they loved! Then, off to the book store- oh, this should be a whole entry in itself, but I'll say something about it now in case I forget. I got a book from the bestsellers section called "Little Bee" (by Chris Cleave). I had never heard of it, but the back of the book was really intriguing by how vague it was:
We don't want to tell you what happens in this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this:
--------------------
This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again- the story starts there...
-------------------
Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds.
I bought that, and then some fudge/salt water taffy for my parents as a GIANT thank-you for coming to pick up the kids for us. We were planning on meeting my parents on Friday night back in Delaware City, and dropping the kids then, but...they were kinda losing it on the boat. And, honestly, so were we. They're just too small right now for such a big trip- I mean, 10 hour days?? Not good.
I got back to the boat, and still had time alone to read and have a glass of wine. I have to say, I loved this book! I don't wanna give too much away, but...you need to read it! I couldn't put it down- I read it in two days! Definitely kicked the butt of the Jane Austen I had brought w/me! ;) (Wow, Mansfield Park...zzzzzzzz!)
Then, Ezra and the kids got back- they were asleep in their stroller, so we covered them over w/a blanket and left them to sleep on the dock while I packed their stuff.
![]() |
| Sleepy babies |
We ordered pizza for my family, who arrived shortly after. I can't believe they were willing to drive so far just to get these crazy kids!
It's weird, but the minute the kids left, I felt so sad! They are so happy w/my family- they hugged and kissed us, and then ran off w/them w/out even looking back, but still- makes me sad!
Turned out, though, that it was definitely for the best- the sail back to Delaware City was pretty terrible. According to Ezra, there was a north wind, and we were coming in w/the tide. All that means is that it was SUPERrocky- the boat kept smashing down on the waves, and was rolling back and forth.
![]() |
| Our fearless Captain |
The kids would have freaked out! I even started to get a bit sea-sick, something I've never felt before. I took a short nap, and woke up to peaceful seas. I even took a turn behind the wheel:
Back in Delaware City, we met up w/Ezra's brother and sister-in-law, and then we headed back to Crabby Dick's. (Can't get enough of that place!)
Which brings us back to today, where ever since I've been home, I've been working on projects, cleaning, unpacking, and doing all sorts of normally-un-fun chores that now seems amazing and peaceful. Things like cleaning ceiling fans and doing wash are nice to do when you can take your time and aren't interrupted! ;)
So, overall, we had a great time- I just wish we had had more time to spend in Cape May. It's definitely one of our favorite places.
-------------------------------------
Now, just have to wait for Ezra to get back. On Monday. Sometime. Eesh...
Happy 4th of July, everyone! :)





















1 comment:
Amazing! I loved, loved, LOVED reading this entry! Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment