Last night, I went out w/a few friends from high school to see a band that I only really liked in high school- Hole. When my friend Claire said they were coming to Philly, I said it'd be funny to see them, mainly bc of their lead singer, Courtney Love, who honestly seems like the biggest trainwreck ever. Anyway, suddenly we had tickets were going to the show.
W/all thats been going on lately, this was truly the last thing I wanted to do last night. I mean, I had lots on my mind, and really didn't think this concert was going to help- it was only costing me money, so far as I could see it!
But...how wrong was I! It was the funniest/weirdest thing ever! I'm sure that's not the intention of the bands, but it definitely was funny AND weird.
For instance, the opening band was one we'd never heard of, but clearly we were in the minority, bc nearly everyone was singing their songs word-for-word. Here's a youtube video of them, but have to say that NOTHING compared to what we saw last night. Insane. Hilarious. Soooo weird! But, DEFINITELY entertaining- which was good, considering we didn't know who the heck these guys were! Their name is "Foxy Shazam," and...they are definitely an interesting experience! For that video, you could skip ahead to the 1-minute mark, bc the singer talks a lot...
Oh, and our "seats" weren't too bad, either- the show was at the Electric Factory, so there aren't seats, but we had a pretty great view from the upper level. We were on the left side of the stage, right up against the rail, so we had unobstructed views of the show, AND were literally 25-ft from the performers. Not bad. Actually, it could have been bad- the singer from the opening band kept spitting on people (completely disgusting), and we were totally in his range! Whenever he'd look at us (and, he did this a lot!), my heart started racing w/fear! How gross would that be, to get spit on?? The people in the very front, who had been spit on seemed to love it, however. Ew!
Anyway, w/those weirdos off the stage, we waited for the main event. And waited. And waited. And kept waiting some more. We waited for over an hour until the band finally made an appearance. We were talking to a security guy, who said that the singer was a complete mess- had been 2 hours late for rehearsal, and was clearly messed up all day. Fantastic. Just what we came to see!
She did not disappoint! She came out wearing black underwear covered over by a full-body lace...jumpsuit (awesome), w/what looked like a sparkly silver bikini bottom over the whole thing, followed by a men's white button-down shirt. Oh, and thigh-high black leather boots. I really don't know what happens to you when you become a performer, but clearly there's an art to dressing for the stage. Or, you're just crazy.
Anyway, the music was fun- mainly bc it really brought me back to age 15! I vividly remember being so angst-filled, sitting in my room, listening to this "deep" grunge music...ah, memories!
The band played for about an hour, and finished with one of my favorite songs- that I'd totally forgotten about. I love how you can go years w/out hearing a particular song, but the minute you do, you completely remember all the words!
Anyway, all in all, I was pretty happy I went- if only to have seen a funny pop-culture person and to see good friends.
We were debating about how old Courtney Love was, and came up w/about 38-39...which seemed a bit sad, I guess, considering how wasted she seemed, and...how she kept spinning around on stage between songs. But, when I got home, I just Googled her, and...she's 46. Even worse.
(Oh- I don't know why that first video is so big- annoying!)
1 comment:
For some reason the videos aren't there...
Post a Comment