I realize that I'm a bit late with actually posting this- but, that doesn't mean that I haven't been thinking/working on my New Year's resolution. Because, this year, it's a good one!
This year, even though my goal should be to lose weight (that's a forever-goal!), I've decided to pick "being a better cook." Actually, I think I was more inspired to take on this project after receiving "The Book Lover's Cookbook" for Christmas. It's a really cute cookbook, in that, it's not really set up like a regular cookbook- I have plenty of those, and honestly, apart from a few recipes, I don't think they're doing me (or the family) much good! This one, however, offers bits from novels, or poems, whatever, that deal with a particular food, and then the passages are followed by a good recipe for said food.
For instance, tonight, I'm working on the "Eli & Jo's Innocent Vegetarian Chili," and the passages are from a novel "While I Was Gone" by Sue Miller, an onion quote by Ben Franklin (weird), and then the chili recipe. It's just fun! And, apparently, that's what it's going to take for me to become more adventurous in the kitchen- a fun cookbook! Thank you, Ephraim!
So far, this book has been really fun- I mean, just making waffles from scratch the other day was a huge mental/emotional lift! I know that might sound really stupid and hum-drum to people that know how to cook (Hilary!), but for me, this is a huge accomplishment! I've been so much more excited about planning meals, because I'm not making my usuals: meatloaf, tacos, chicken cutlets, spaghetti,...blah, blah.
Not to be too dumb about this, but I've even started a food blog- mainly to document this "incredible journey" from someone who could kinda throw things together, to someone that actually knows what they're doing in the kitchen- hopefully! It's obviously a work in progress, but this is something that's been on my mind for a while now- I don't always want to be the one asked to bring wine to gatherings anymore! :)
So...here's hoping!
1 comment:
GO Alissa!!!! What a fun New Years resolution :) Way better than losing weight!
Post a Comment