Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dream Stroller=Huge Nightmare!

Ok, so now that we have the "dream stroller," I guess I kind of assumed that all would be well and good forever. Oh, how wrong was I! Since the company's located in NEW ZEALAND, and most parts/accessories have to be special ordered, what made me think our recent necessary part would be easy to find?

Let me explain- early Sunday morning (around 4am), I heard a REALLY loud smash in the kitchen. After calming down, I went to see what could have happened...and that's when I saw it. One of the rear stroller tires had popped, and with the force (seriously, force!) of the explosion, the plastic rim around the tire smashed, too. There were plastic bits everywhere! Anyway, not to worry, I thought, as I hopped onto the internet the next morning.

Turns out, you can't buy Phil & Ted's parts from the Phil & Ted's website, or from any other site, apparently. I called the store I bought the stroller from, and...ugh, here's the problem- they can't even buy more strollers from their distributor, let alone replacement parts, because the company is changing-hands, and won't be up-and-running really until May. Seriously?? So, I called the distributor directly, and was kinda told the same thing- that they have no parts for the strollers, and aren't getting more because of the upcoming change.

Fantastic! What do I do? I emailed Phil & Ted's to see if they have any suggestions, now that I'm completely out of luck here! Hopefully I'll hear back from them- I'm not placing much hope on a return email.

But, while I was scouring the internet, I decided to try craigslist, in New Zealand. Just what I was hoping to find, I don't know now- it's not like there are ever LOADS of adds for replacement rear wheels for strollers, but I was just hoping. Anyway, while checking the Australia ones (hey, it's close to NZ, right?), I came across this amazing ad (and, honestly, I'm not kidding, it was just up there under 'baby + kids', like any other normal ad):

-------------
1yr old - $1500 (brisbane)

Reply to: see below
Date: 2009-01-27, 8:48PM EST

07' Model boy very low mileage seeing as he cant walk yet, white with blonde trim,
regretable sale, took nearly a year to build, 30,000 spent with receipts sell $1500

Location: brisbane
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1008191096
--------------

Seems to be a joke, but...wow. What's wrong with people?!

Anyway, that just happened to be a "bright" (ie, interesting) part of my otherwise really annoying day- the stroller repair, obviously, wasn't all that went awry today. Eve woke up at 5:30 this morning, covered in barf. She got sick a few more times during the morning, and now has been asleep for...about three hours now. Poor girl! And, we had the fire alarm guys out today to work on the beeping alarm. And, our new dresser was delivered before noon, too.

Whew! I'm off for a nap...

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh no!!!!!! Do you still recommend that stroller?

Sounds like your arms are going to get a workout! Want me to swim over to New Zealand and see what I can find?

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Oh my word!!! How in the WORLD did a tire just pop?! Crazy.

L R said...

So sorry!! How crazy to pop a stroller tire! Have you been able to get around without it at all?