Monday, February 1, 2010

King Cake

I just surprised and amazed myself by...making a King Cake!

I'm surprised (and amazed) because it was an Emeril recipe, with about 500 ingredients, followed by 5 million steps- and, lots of time. I thought I was going to be able to knock this out while the kids were napping- nope! Turns out that it takes a while of just letting the dough sit around and rise, so, it took about 3 and a half hours.

Which made me really happy to see that it was successful!

I think I'm happy enough with my finished product to use this recipe for our mini-Mardi Gras party on...well, on Valentine's Day. We had people over last year on the Sunday before Mardi Gras- just a small thing after church. I ordered a King cake from a shop in New Orleans last year, but...that's pretty expensive with overnight shipping AND weekend delivery rates!

Anyway, my cake isn't properly decorated- I opted to use whatever sprinkles I had in the cabinet. It's officially a Valentine's cake, I guess.



It's not the prettiest cake, but it tastes pretty good! Except for the fact that I could have added more cream cheese filling- and will, next time!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I miss King Cake!!!!!!!! So good :) Will you save me some? Better yet, just make me a new one. k, thnkz