Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Judah is (Finally) Here!

After all of my hoping that the baby would come early, I found myself scheduling an induction because he just got too cozy to come out!

He was due on 1/8, but that day came and went with no change whatsoever. So, we scheduled an induction-which sounded like the greatest idea ever. I was pretty tired of being pregnant, and was also starting to fear that this would be a pretty big baby. He just...felt bigger than Eve.

It was nice, too, because this way, we could plan out our moves, and we knew just what was happening with Eve- she was going to spend the weekend with Ezra's family. We took her over the night before, which removed a lot of stress.

Here's my last pregnant picture- and the last picture of Eve's "shelf"!



We got to the hospital around 10 on Saturday morning, and after hours of seeing residents, doctors, and so on, were finally admitted. I was put on pitocin at 1:30, and told to sit back and wait.

So, that's just what we did. Things did start moving quickly, however, which was nice, but still, it was slow-going! After about four hours, I was pretty hopeful that I was getting closer to delivery- sadly, I was told that I had only dilated halfway. That's about the time I got the epidural. I just started feeling sooo discouraged, and then the pain felt so much worse!

After a few complications with the medication- left leg numbness again while my right side remained untouched-my medication began working, and pretty soon, we were ready for delivery.

While the entire process took a total of ten hours, the actual delivery took only 15 minutes, and Judah Dodd Church was born! What a fantastic change after the three-hours it took for Eve to be born!

Just minutes after being born:



Giant baby-he weighed 8 lbs 10 oz!







I had been waiting and wondering to see how Eve would react to the new baby. Whenever I'd see a baby on TV or in person, I'd make a point to show her, and say 'baby,' which she's repeat. I'd point to my stomach, saying 'baby,' too, and she could do that too, but really- she's too small to have any idea what I was talking about! Still, I was curious to see her reaction. And, more importantly, I was dying to see her!

Ezra's family brought her up to the room, and I saw this little face peeking around the curtain (of my shared room, ew). She looked so cute and happy, and that little sweet face was suddenly changed to confusion when she saw the baby on my lap. I've never felt so terrible in my life! We kept trying introductions with her and Judah, but she kept pushing him away, whining "no!", and reaching out to my mom to get away. Ugh, crushing.

This was the only picture we got of her being happy about the baby- she immediately pushed him away right after:



Well, actually, she came around, and started finding fun things to do with him...like pulling his hat off!



The next morning:



Tanning in my room after learning that he had a high bilirubin score:



All dressed and ready to go home!



Now that we're home, and more settled, Eve has really started to love/obsess over Judah. She can't stop messing with him, or wanting to mess with him! She's been taking his paci for herself (right from his mouth), shoving it back at his face when he cries, brushing his hair, tearing off his blankets, petting him,...I pity him, honestly. She's not a gentle girl!

More pics to come...obviously!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for posting the story...we are SO happy for you guys! congratulations! LOVE the pictures...he is gorgeous!

L R said...

Congratulations! He is so handsome! From the pictures, I think he looks more like a Church. What do you think? I love how perfectly he fits in his coming home outfit.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Yes, I'm just reading this now. (It's your own fault, you know.)

First, you look way too happy in that first picture. :) LOL. And Adelaide has those darling brown shoes from Target. :)

He's so cute! We had to "tan" Drew, too.

Alissa said...

hey- the overhappy expression was all due to the fact that i KNEW it was finally going to be over in the morning! ;)